A good number of you are probably worship pastors. I’m also a worship pastor. Or more specifically, I am a worship/connections pastor. Many of us are not at large churches with large budgets, and in turn, aren’t able to specialize in one area. Many times I have looked at where I am in life and found the phrase, “Jack of all trades, master of none” to be a fair description.
- As the Worship/Connections Pastor, I am currently:
- Overseeing our worship community/leading our congregation weekly
- Overseeing our sound and lyrics ministries
- Equipping a network of Life Groups and Life Group leaders
- Managing our hospitality teams of greeters and info table peeps
- Following up with weekly visitors
- Part of our pastoral leadership team, setting vision and sharing teaching on occasion
- Maintaining our website while working with some others to create a new look/feel for the site
- Leading a team of 42 people on a trip to Mexico this Christmas
- Putting together a 6 week study on the book of John with a professor at our church
I think the last three fall under “other duties as needed” in the job description. In addition, I have recently felt a strong desire to start a ministry to reach more students at UCSC, our local university less than a mile away. Making time for my family is a top priority, along with exercise and missional living.
I definitely don’t share that as a means of bragging. In fact, I often wonder how my plate keeps filling being that, even after much growth, I am probably one of the worst time managers in the universe. Some of it is my personality. I like to have a lot going on. Call it sadistic. I usually get to the point very quickly where I feel like I am in WAY over my head.
The great part about being in over my head is I am forcibly reminded that I can’t do anything without Jesus. When things seem manageable, it’s easy to rely on my own abilities. I think I can do it myself. I don’t really believe that apart from Him, I can do nothing. God consistently, throughout my life in ministry, has led me to places where I am in over my head and I have no choice but to trust Him to make things happen.
How is God reminding you to rely on Him more today?
What dreams has he placed in your heart that are bigger than your own abilities?
Where has He gotten you in “over your head” so that He could come through for you?